Sunday 23 September 2012

HE'S MUCH MORE THAN JUST A WHALE CRIER...

 
NEXT to Nelson Mandela he is the most photographed person in South Africa and people love to be photographed next to him. His name is Eric Davalala, he just turned 23 years and he is the only Whale Crier in the world. And with the Whale Festival around the corner he will be - for the next few months - the most important person in Hermanus. Calling everyone on his special trumpet when whales are seen in the waters of Hermanus.

Eric grew up in the village of Willovale in the Eastern Cape and came to Hermanus in 2006. He was then still at school which he finnished in the next year. Although there was hardly any jobs available he eventually got appointed as a parking attendant in Hermanus. He worked hard at his job and two years later he was appointed supervisor by the company. This he did untill July in 2011 when he left the company. During this time he was successfull in applying for the job as Whale Crier and was then appointed.
"When I was interviewed they told me that the Whale Crier must be very friendly and talkative. That I am and I have never been happier in my life. I love my job more than anything," the friendly young man told Hermanusnews Online.
But not only is the town's Whale Crier a happy person. He is also very talented and loves doing poetry at private functions. "But I don't write the poetry. I just do it in Xhosa. It's easy and the words just flow. This God gave me and I love Him for He is the One that gave all this to me."
And a girlfriend? "Oh yes there is someone very special in my life. Her name is Cindy," he says with another smile.
 
By now a new group of tourists has gathered around us - waiting to photograph our young Whale Crier . We say goodbye and leave a happy, talented and very talkative young man who will always bring a smile to your face.

                                                  BY ARNOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment